Friday, July 5, 2013

How to fall in love in 7 days.

Favorite memories:

Vincent: The Haitian church service; the sound of their voices, the emotion and passion they exhibited. 

Shirley: The last night at dinner in Haiti, Sandy shared her chameleon story. When she was ten, she wore her live pet chameleon as a necklace (complete with a bow around its neck). She used to trade hers with her friends, and they'd watch the reptiles change colors with each different shirt!

Kim: I really loved seeing Sandy teach the ladies how to bead. Their enthusiasm, especially when they understood, really warmed my heart. I also loved watchin' Mama Haiti strut her stuff with the bucket on her head!

Megan: I enjoyed praying for the people whom we visited throughout the week. It was amazing to hear their stories and be able to pray for their needs. 

Kristin: This is my second trip to Haiti and there was one face that was engraved into my heart after the first one. On trips like this, the reality is that this one week may be the only time in your whole life that you get to see the people you meet. To see and have the chance to spend another week with little Abouna, a 5 year-old with the most beautiful smile and heart that just connects with mine was so much more than I could have asked or imagined. I will forever remember what it feels like to look into his beautiful eyes.

Helen: There are so many things I enjoyed but I have narrowed it down to two favorites.  The first was teaching the same Haitian women from last year how to make earrings and watching them pick up new skills that will help their business prosper. The other was cooking in the kitchen at the Boom Boom Cafe. After 3 trips to Haiti eating traditional food, it was really neat to get in the kitchen and not only see how it was done, but to help them make it too.  

Amber: If I have to pick just one thing I absolutely loved this week, it would be loving on the children. The kids were so trusting and wanted nothing more than to be held and entertained. I will definitely miss them!!

Donna: I will never forget holding & cuddling 8 month old Regina while her mother was learning how to make beaded jewelry. 

Sandy: I will cherish forever this whole trip, but especially the moment on Thursday when Mama Haiti grabbed me and kissed me on the cheek along with a HUGE hug.  After she kissed me, all the ladies grabbed us and we were kissing and hugging each other and laughing!!!  It was a wonderful expression of love, family and friendship; especially the silly laughing!!!

Mary Beth: I loved when Haiti Mama did her fashion show with the bucket of water on her head.

Yolanda:  Anticipating my second year coming to Haiti, I thought about the two women, Malonda and Suzette, that I connected with emotionally and spiritually last year. Would they remember me?  My reunion with them was wonderful. Hugs, tears, and total elation was felt by all of us.  They are like family to me. And while I was here it meant so much to me to have the honor of praying for Suzette, her daughters, and her home. And to help hoe the ground where Malonda would plant a garden. But most of all, to finally hold the baby I had prayed for for so long.  A beautiful baby girl named Regina.  I will definitely miss my Haiti family when I leave.

Tracey:  The beautiful singing floating up to the heavens as we arrived at the church, the laughter of the children, their bright eyes, beautiful smiles and the feeling of their arms around my neck as I carried them up the hill, being reunited with familiar faces,

and the daily commute with the majestic mountains on one side and the blue sea on the other, listening to Delirious sing "Did you feel the mountains tremble? Did you hear the oceans roar?" all the while remembering how mighty and great and powerful our God is to handle anything in our lives. 

MaryChris: Loved every moment. My favorites are Momma Haiti's laugh, Julie's smiles, pastor Williams prayers, Bertie's cooking and Mackinson's leadership and strength in taking this community farther and father towards independence. And the deepening relationship with my team. I <3 them! 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment